***Hit REFRESH or RELOAD to update the screen***
The most likely reason for not being able to use the chat is the wrong browser or outdated software.
Chrome works best. I’ve been able to confirm that I can get into the chat on my new ipad (iOS 13.3) using Chrome, but I cannot using Chrome on an old ipad with iOS 9.3.5. Older ipads cannot update to the latest version of Chrome. For instance my old ipad has version 63.0.3239.73, the new ipad uses 79.03945.73. Both are updated to the newest available for that device.
Safari appears to be working now on all devices.
How to join The Rug Hooking Journey
You can sign up at any time to join The Rug Hooking Journey. Don’t worry, clicking the link will keep this tab open. You won’t miss a thing. If you are unsure about joining, join for just one month, you can upgrade to a cheaper plan at any time. Be sure to do that using the links in the Dashboard. The system will automatically give you credit for the time remaining on your plan and charge you accordingly. The renewal date will be the date you upgrade.
How to check your version of Chrome on an ipad or ipad
- Open Chrome
- Tap the … menu. On the ipad it is in the upper right, on the iphone it is lower right.
- Click on settings.
- Page to the bottom, click on Google Chrome.
- On the next page in the gray area is your version of Chrome.
If you try to download Chrome from the App store and cannot, your device is too old to use the current version of Chrome.
READ THIS! Lesson Guidelines
- Say hi! Let me know you are here, especially if this is your first time.
- Please ask questions related to the topic only. You can submit questions for a Live! Lesson or join the open Q&A sessions on the first Friday of the month. If I do not have a lesson on that Friday, the Q&A session will be the first lesson held that month.
- Please do not ask me to repeat part of the lesson, unless I did not explain it clearly. If you got here late or was distracted, watch the replay inside The Rug Hooking Journey. Replays going back to 2016 are included with your membership.
- Be sure the volume on your device is turned up.
- If you cannot see the bar, turn your device so the video fills more of the space. Touch the video if you are on a mobile device.
- Hit play if you see a play button.
My screen froze!
Try refreshing the screen. Be sure all other devices in your home that use wifi are turned off, TV’s using Netflix, phones that are gathering email, etc.
The system will try the highest resolution that will work with your internet. If you’d like to try an even lower setting, watch this video:
Mobile device, phone or tablet
How to use the chat
There are 2 ways chat and Q&A. You can only see one at a time. If you clicked Ask a question, look for the small gray X to close that window to return to the chat.
Click Chat as guest. Enter your name, click the box to accept the terms, then click the black join button. It’s there, it might be hiding below the window.
If you open the Ask a Question window, your chat will close temporarily. Just ask your question, and then close the chat. You will be back where you started.
It is 4pm and the video is not playing!
The video is set to autostart but if you arrive before I do, you may have to hit the play button. I usually arrive 15-20 minutes early to be sure everything is working so we can get started right at 4pm.
What time does this start?
4pm eastern on Fridays. I usually arrive a bit early to be sure all the tech is working and I’ll often chit chat about my week, but nothing significant happens until the appointed time.
What is the best browser to use?
I recommend Chrome, especially if you have experienced problems. It seems to have helped several people avoid the video delaying and sound dropping.
If a different browser you are using is working, don’t bother changing.
How do I test my internet speed?
You can improve your internet connection. Here’s how.
You can also select your own resolution or quality of video. Just click the gear icon ⚙ and select a resolution that does not cut in and out. Your quality will not be as good, but you will be able to watch it uninterrupted.
On a mobile device? Turn off Bluetooth. I saw my connection strength double when I turned off Bluetooth. You can turn Bluetooth back on after the broadcast.