Join Practical Color Planning below
Enter your name and email address in the form at the bottom of the page to get started.
EXISTING STUDENTS: Log in here
Do you struggle with color planning?
- Do you have “that” pattern? You know the one. You loved it when you bought it, but now you have no idea where to begin? What color goes where? How do you get started?
- To get help, do you attend a workshop but still go home with an unfinished rug and no idea what to do next?
- Do you hook and rip, and then hook and rip, and then hook……?
- How many more pieces of random wool will you buy that don’t “go” with anything?
- Are you struggling to put together a rug even though you have tons of wool and love every piece? It should be simpler.
- Why waste one more day with a rug you’ve lost interest in because you don’t like it and you don’t know what to do to fix it?
- How long will you continue to wonder why everyone else has it figured out and you don’t?
But what if I captured all that knowledge in a comprehensive color planning course that is a combination of video, audio and text (on the screen and printable) that you can revisit as many times as you need, at any time of the year, at any time of the day, forever?
What if you could confidently color plan any pattern, any style, any design? How many rugs could you hook if you did not have to think and rethink every color choice, ripping and re-hooking each time?
What if you could eliminate the most frustrating part of rug hooking and only have the good parts left? Hmmm…I wish this was available for cookies. All the great taste but no calories… (Pause to wipe the cookie crumbs from my face)
Join Practical Color Planning today
Why online rug camp?
- Less expensive – no travel, meal or hotel costs. I paid
$325$350 for just the instructional fee for my last rug camp. I still had to get there and pay for the hotel and meals.
- Not as physically taxing. You can start and stop on your schedule.
- No pressure to hook fast, so you can work at your own pace and on your own schedule.
- No disruption of your daily routine.
- Watch as many lessons as you want as often as you need to.
- How much actual instruction time with the teacher did you get at your last rug camp? Do you still have unanswered questions? Ask your questions at one of the Live! Lessons that happen on the first Thursday of the month at 7pm. Once you are enrolled you will have access to all the recordings of past Live! Lessons and access to every new one scheduled.
I enjoyed the class and learned valuable information. I loved the idea of dispersing the value in a rug first and then filling in with color in the respective value. It made my color planning so much easier. I’m still hooking my runner and am very satisfied with how the color placement turned out. I recommended your class to my fellow hookers! 🙂 Thank you, Wendy
Many different ways to learn each lesson
- Video, look over my shoulder and see how it is done
- PDF download that you can print out and keep in a notebook
- Audio*, listen while you mow the lawn or drive the car using your phone or MP3 player
This workshop is perfect for you if:
- You struggle with color planning and want to improve your skills.
- You have a curiosity and want to learn all you can about rug hooking
- You want to work more independently and not rely on a color plan developed during a workshop to get a “good” rug.
- Your schedule or family circumstances make it difficult to get away for a week to attend a live, in-person rug hooking workshop.
- You are finally ready to throw out the photo and stop copying someone else’s work. No one can hook your version of the rug except you.
Why make a second rate copy when you can make a first class original instead?
A better valueA 3-4 day workshop will cost you over $400 or more for just the instructional fee. Many camps are significantly more. Once you factor in the travel costs, airline or gas and wear and tear on your car, hotel, meals and snacks, time off work, etc., you’ve spent a great deal more. Instead, spend a fraction of that, and have the instruction at your fingertips, a full color planning course (more than what I could teach at a single workshop) that you can watch over and over, at any time of the day or night without even leaving your bed! I will be constantly improving this course and you will get all those updates also!
Join Practical Color Planning today
What a great lesson! I did the exercise and thought for sure that I knew where my values would go and much to my surprise my value study of choice is something completely different. And that is why I’m taking this course. I’m seeing choices that I never realized were there. Thank you Cindi! I will use this tool to color plan all my rugs from now on.Wendy M
Course Outline *subject to revisionThe pattern is a PDF that you download, print, and then tape together. I teach you how to transfer the pattern to the backing inside the course.
List of Lessons in PCP*
PCP = Practical Color Planning for Rug Hookers
Here’s what one student sent me after a monthly lesson:
Wow!! You went way beyond expectations. I got so much good information from you talking about my rug. I hope others benefited as well as I always learn a ton when you give tips on others’ rugs.
I did try to marbelize some wool for the roof. What fun, I married wool a few times before and I’ll play with this technique more often. What I ended up with didn’t seem great, but when I hooked a piece in it really softened the transition from roof to rust.
I’m glad you pointed out the way the roof does not line up with the edge of the building, that was bugging me something terrible. Most people probably wouldn’t notice it. I think I’ll make the roof slightly longer, cutting off the building makes it look kind of small and the lean to roof seems giant. I’ll adjust both. Your idea of working the wood in planks was a good one and lengthening the posts is a must. I think it is important that you reminded us not to rip things out too soon. I’m very guilty of that, I’ve even ripped something out only to put back in the exact same thing later.
After watching your webinar, I got super inspired by your talk of shadows. I even cut out a cardboard barn and got a flashlight to check that out. I do believe you have brought out an inner artist in me. You are always saying to do things if they make you happy.
Once again I just wanted to thank you so much for giving me a much needed gentle push.
- Recorded video of each lesson
- Full written article explaining the lesson
- Downloadable PDFs are included in some lessons that you can print out and store in a notebook for quick reference
- Coming 2019*: MP3 file that you can download to your music player. Listen while your eyes are busy
- Coming 2019*: Companion book for the course, one for your e-book reader and a printable PDF version.
*Some items will not be available immediately
Still not sure?
Let me know what your concerns are. There may have been something I’ve overlooked. Call me at 419-287-3884 between 9am and 7pm eastern or email me at email@example.com. Let’s talk.
Help me spread the word. Tell a friend or the whole community!
Enjoy this free sample lesson
Frequently Asked Questions….
What is an online course?
It is a collection of recorded videos that you watch at your own pace. It is not a random group of lessons. They have been carefully crafted to help you understand the techniques and methods. Several lessons have PDF downloads that you can print.
How is this different than The Rug Hooking Journey?
The Rug Hooking Journey is a monthly membership. You don’t have to be available at any special time. The membership includes replays from my weekly Live! Rug Hooking Lessons (the edited videos sometimes include extra content that was not broadcast during the live event).
The Rug Hooking Journey also includes several other developing courses:
The Practical Color Planning for Rug Hookers Course is in-depth, start-to-finish instruction of techniques rug hookers can use to color plan their rugs. It includes a few lessons about color theory (value, hue, tint, shade, complementary, analogous, etc) but those lessons are more to teach you vocabulary so you can talk to others about color. That knowledge does little to help you color plan.
Want to influence what the program is about? Join the Facebook page.
Is it portable?
It is a website that you sign into, so anywhere you can get to a website, you can get to the course. You can use a computer, tablet or phone. The lessons are pre-recorded videos that you can watch over and over. They have been carefully planned to deliver the lesson in as little time as possible.
How long does it take?
You can binge watch all the core lessons in one day but most students return over and over until they master all the techniques. Not every rug uses every technique.
Watching the case studies and the Color Planning Course Live! Webinars will take longer, but you have access for as long as you like.
Do I have lifetime access?
Yes! The current offering gives you continuous access for the single payment. This is not a monthly or yearly charge. Once you are in, you are in. Return once a year for a refresher, or visit more often. It is up to you.
I know the color wheel, will I learn anything else?
Yes, the color wheel cannot color plan your rug. It only teaches you language that you can use to talk to others about color. I do explain the color wheel, but the course concentrates on practical methods and tips that I’ve used since 2000 to teach hundreds of students. They are easy to use and just “make sense.”
Will this work on an tablet or phone?
Yes, You can prove this by watching the sample video above. If it does not play on your device, I’d like to know. It should work on all devices that can access the internet.
What if I work full time? Will I miss out?
No! The Live! Lesson events are on the first Thursday of the month at 7pm immediately after my regular weekly Live! Lesson. Replays of the monthly lesson are always available inside the course. You may be busy and unable to watch live, but you can watch the replay at any time.
What happens at the live events?
You can attend live and ask questions. If you cannot attend live, a recording will be available. Here’s a sample of a recent Live! event. What we talk about depends on what questions are asked.
I’m a beginner. Is this course for me?
Yes. This course will help brand new rug hookers and more experienced hookers. I sure wish I had something like this when I started. I would not have spent so much money on wool that did not work.
What is the price?
As the course improves, the price goes up. Sign up now to lock in the best price available. The last live workshop I signed up for was about $100 more, involved travel, hotels, meals and a week away from my family.
If you have questions about enrolling, please call me at 419-287-3884 between 9am and 7pm eastern.